The Senior Advisor, Engagement and Communications, is a skilled professional with 7-10 years of experience, focusing primarily on the resource or energy infrastructure sector. This individual is responsible for researching, writing, and supporting the implementation of complex Indigenous engagement and/or communication plans and strategies. This position is both internal and client-facing, and involves guiding and motivating project staff to provide outstanding integrated client service delivery. The role encompasses four key areas: Operational, Indigenous Engagement, Communications, and Personal Management.
Location: Candidates will be considered from British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.
• Develop strategies, plans, and materials in support of engagement activities or regulatory consultation.
• Analyze, interpret and apply federal and provincial legislation, policy, and regulations related to resource development, Indigenous relations, and regulatory affairs.
• Knowledge of relevant government regulatory agencies and processes, such as the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada, Canadian Energy Regulator, Alberta Energy Regulator, Natural Resources Conservation Board, Alberta Utilities Commission, Alberta Indigenous Consultation Office, BC Energy Regulator, and the BC Environmental Assessment Office.
• Work well within a cross-functional team environment, demonstrating respect for colleagues at all levels.
• Provide advice, support, and recommendations on Indigenous consultation issues to senior management.
• Coordinate and manage special events logistics, including community meetings, open houses, and workshops with multiple Indigenous groups for various projects.
• Ensure quality control and consistency of consultation records, meeting minutes, and other documents.
• Support clients with community-focused research to identify past and present issues and better understand unique aspects of Indigenous communities.
• Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to research, write, and edit material for internal and external audiences.
• Experienced in event coordination from concept development to implementation on the ground.
• Participate in and represent the company brand at networking events and conferences.
• Provide leadership with intended personal vacation plans sufficiently in advance to ensure back-up is available for client continuity, including a workload plan prior to departure.
• Ensure the corporate values, standards of business conduct, and human resource philosophy are understood, embraced, and personally demonstrated in daily interactions and relationships.
• Demonstrate and practice the avoidance of silo thinking and behaviors between departments and offices.
A highly efficient, productive individual with strong time management skills and experience in environmental assessments, traditional land use studies, community development, and regulatory consultation. You have a deep understanding of key government regulatory agencies and processes, and are adept at managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Education and Experience
• A minimum of 7-10 years of work experience in the resource or energy infrastructure sector.
• Experience in Indigenous engagement and consultation programs.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
• Strong understanding of Indigenous communities and the issues affecting them, particularly in Alberta and British Columbia.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and time management software (Function Fox).
• Write draft regulatory submissions.
• Be proactive in monitoring legal developments, community, and political issues through social and regular media, and develop strategies on how to address them.
• Participate in the audit of consultation records for accuracy of engagement efforts.
• Oversee logistical support to clients, including meeting bookings and travel recommendations.
• Identify and interface directly with the client and their stakeholders, and effectively communicate client project messaging and business objectives.
• Offer unique strategies tailored to the needs of the client and provide enough detail that they can be implemented by the client in the event Communica is not required to implement.
Please note: Communica is a client driven consultancy firm, as such, we operate with an outcome-based work culture. This means we provide flexibility on when employees work, as long as they are able to meet client deadlines.
Communica is one of Canada’s largest Indigenous and stakeholder regulatory engagement consulting firms. Headquartered in Calgary, Communica’s services concentrate on four core pillars of expertise: Indigenous engagement, stakeholder engagement, communications and Stakeholder Information Management™.
Our work is guided by the belief that authentic, open and transparent engagement leads to better decision-making and builds mutual respect and trust with stakeholders and Indigenous communities.
Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are important to us. We are committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to on race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other protected class under applicable human rights legislation. We also accept a diversity of opinions and encourage staff to treat those with different opinions with respect and professionalism. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats, communication supports, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in joining Communica.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the date, document type (cover letter or resume), your first and last name, and the job title in your file name and email subject line.
2018-01-29 – Cover Letter – Jane Smith – Junior Analyst.doc
2018-01-29 – Resume – Jane Smith – Junior Analyst.doc
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in working with Communica.